Well, as my previous post would tell it, the Italians stay bundled with jackets and scarves into the 80s, or until the page on the calender is flipped to something showing a beach scene. Needless to say, we stand out when we have a walk around the town. I give in to letting Rachel wear a tu-tu... it does compliment her pink cowboy boots from Oklahoma. As Italian little boys wear speedo-styled swimming suits, my son has been wearing his swimming suit like underwear under his clothes for a few weeks now. Even my Italian husband now breaks out the shorts and "pushes summer" when the temperature hits the mid-70s. And I, being American and accustomed to everything and everywhere being air-conditioned, am sensitive to getting uncomfortably overheated; I break out the summer clothes the first day I deem necessary.
Last year at this time we were just coming off of a long, hard winter battling ear-infection after ear-infection. We had the doctors baffled as Rachel just couldn't knock the infections. The doctor's final advice: Take the kids to the beach every day in the summer. And we did just that. It sure beats fighting the kids to take antibiotics or the Italians favorite cure-all, saline nose spray. We followed the advice and the final verdict for this past winter: not an infection at all, not one!
Being from landlocked Oklahoma, I am slowly learning the beach culture of Italy. My kids and husband, on the other hand, are hooked, born for this salty, sea life. My husband has been out catching octopus for weeks now. This spring we have "pushed summer" at the beach already a few times. With chilling water, I wouldn't get in, but kids are immune to cold when it comes to surf and sand, and they've been swimming. So, while some Italians are still clothed head to toe, all I can say is that we are just starting in a little early, just doing what the doctor prescribed.




9 comments:
LOVE IT!! Okay, I have to ask...why would going to the beach everyday prevent ear infections? We've always had issues. I am dying to know :-)
I assume it has to do with the humidity and salt in the air. The Italians are big on the "sea air" being really good for you. I don't know if there is anything to it, but I think their sinuses were totally sterilized with all the salt air they were breathing through the snorkels. I tried it a few times (but I was pregnant) and I felt like I was inhaling pure salt. All winter Italian kids have to use saline nose spray to rid the nose of bacteria and germs. I am guessing any infection cold or virus can lead to an ear infection if you are susceptible. Who knows, I plan to post lots more of their crazy medical advice!
My daughter hates the "saline nose spay" she freaks out.
Glad to hear from you and read your blog! My recent post about the brass knuckles and knives is really a rarity around Edmond, you know. It's a really nice place to live MOST OF THE TIME. But I guess what you're saying is that you feel very safe in Italy?
Funny, maybe you know from my blog but my daughter is studying in Florence this summer and we are going to visit in July. I'm so, excited, I've never been to Italy. But of course we have been warned multiple times about pickpockets. Wear money belts , etc. I'm still thrilled to get the opportunity!
Loved reading about your birth experience and Italian health advice. I just told my teenage son the other day to get out in the swimming pool and that would help clean out his sinuses. Gross, I know. But I think the activity in the water, holding your breath, sometimes snorting water help! I have used a neti pot in the past for allergies and think there must be something to all that advice about salt water cleansing.
Best wishes to you!
Wa-Wa's :)
I know, Edmond really is a great place and I miss it a lot, but I think you summed it up when you said I feel safe here. I do, at least where my kids are concerned. For the most part, in the places we frequent or where we have lived, the Italians always feel like extended family. I don't know how many times we have eaten at a resturant and a grandma-cook has taken one of our babies around the place to show her off. The Italians have big-hearts for their kiddos and sort-of share the role of looking out for them. At least this has been my experience. I'll just say that their leashes are a little longer here, just a little.
No, I didn't see that your daughter is in Florence! I'll have to go back and read about it now! I love Florence and was there for a summer before I got married. I hope she is having the time of her life and that you all have a wonderful experience visiting her.
I noticed that my sister and lots of friends follow your blog, so I decided to check it out. I look forward to following and seeing what I have to look forward to with teens! Emilia
How gorgeous! How close are the beaches to your house? I would think the salt water is marvelous for all ailments, and it is a homeopathic fix at that. I love your daughter's clothes that she picks to wear. So adorable!
And our husband fishing for octopus? I'd love to hear how he does that some day! So neat!
Your life sounds so grand and glorious, Emilia! You always were the adventurous type. I could learn from that nowadays, friend. Enjoy!
I grew up right across from the beach and never had an ear infection in my life...the italian docs are onto something there.
Great to see that the kids have taken to the water so easily, but it was nice to read that your husband fishes! Fresh catch...just can't beat it!
Ashley, twins are pretty adventurous! The beach is about 20 min. away in every direction due to our location.
Ashley and Rowena, I will definitely be posting about my husband fishing for octopus.
He thinks if he brings home food he is justified for leaving me at home with 3 kids!
I don't think it will be this summer, but next summer your nephews may just make it to the healing sea to swim and snorkel with their cousins.
Post a Comment