Having a baby in Italy is like going back in time to when our grandmothers had babies, or at least what I imagined it was like. Not that there are nurses in white caps running around with stacks of towels and boiling water, but hospitals are very institutional. You won't find your own private hospital room with nicely framed art work and big cozy chairs for waiting family members. You won't find your birth team made up of your spouse, parents, in-laws and cousins allowed in the delivery room to cheer you on. You will, though, get to share your hospital room, after delivery, with other women and get to experience a feeling like you're staying in a pajama-clad summer camp. You will leave all modesty at the door and more than likely also your husband.
Well, as unexpected as the pregnancy itself was, so was the rest of the night. By 2:15 we were at the hospital. We entered the building, not to the usual mob of comers and goers, but to complete emptiness. With my suitcase in hand, the odd early morning hour felt no stranger than it does when I arrive at an airport in the wee morning hours. We took the elevator to the 4th floor, which was nice considering that in the previous weeks I had been taking the stairs because the elevators were usually crowded with long lines waiting to get in. Arriving at our floor, I didn't expect to see anyone because I knew that the labor wing and the recovery wing of the Ostétrico floor were closed behind locked doors. I did, however, anticipate that if we knocked on the doors that I would be immediately whisked away to the awaiting doctors, and I even dared to hope that due to our middle of the night arrival, that someone would bend the rules and allow my husband to accompany me to whatever lie ahead. Well, we knocked... and knocked... and rang the bell... and knocked some more and then rang the bell some more, and finally, in the middle of a pretty strong contraction about 30 minutes later, a small, bed-headed man, dressed all in white, groggily and unenthusiastically opened the door and looked at us as if it was a surprise that someone might actually go into labor in the middle of the night. The whole thing felt very much like the part of the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy and her gang knocked on the door of the Emerald City and got turned away. Would I be asked to come back with a broomstick in hand? No, but my husband was sent away to go back down to the emergency room to obtain some admittance papers we should have gotten on our way in. Again, I couldn't help feeling bad for my after hours ordeal, and now for inconveniencing this munchkin of a man whom we had obviously woken.
I soon learned that my doorkeeper dwarf was named Giuseppe and he would be my personal assistant for the night. I tried to curb the awkwardness I felt about having a male nurse, but after all, this was Italy, and I had long learned that the etiquette for these things is enormously different than in America. Before long, another small statured and dozy person arrived, seemingly to have roused from a enchanted poppy field. Once more, I knew I had awoken her too. She must have been the ostétrica because she took charge giving lethargic commands. Now, before I go on, I must add, that as an American in Italy, I go almost everywhere with a giant disclaimer that is usually something like, "I'm sorry, I speak English." or something about speaking a little Italian. The fact is, I get along pretty well with the language, but it always helps to get a little linguistic sympathy if I can. And, of course, after my disclaimer I must answer a slew of questions about where I am from and why I am in Italy. Now, if I only had the brain to respond through the searing pain of contractions. This night would be no different as I, a foreinger in a strange land, with the courage of the cowardly lion, pressed on in a hospital where no (or few) Americans had ever set foot. The months of looking forward to the new baby and the weeks of biding time in waiting rooms was about to draw to a close. Our heart's desire was about to arrive. (To be continued)


5 comments:
Oh I am on pins and needles and I know the story. Do post more!
Love reading your stories! Can't wait to read the rest... Jennifer
literally in awe of the story. the picture of your dad and pierre in the lobby reading just makes me laugh too...i imagine them just relaxing and reading while you're oh, say, birthing a child.
I love the "in-between" I find in every post I've read--what a blog, what a mind, and what a baby story...I'm trained as a birth doula and I think your sense of humor about the hospital custom in Italy is a great way to go about it!
To be continued??? When? I can't wait to hear the rest! You should have been an author!
Post a Comment